Saturday, February 2, 2008

Counting My Blessings...

Ahh, another blissful Saturday with the IrishKids! Wish I could say that it was all about the fun in the snow...unfortunately the day was a bit more stressful than snowballs and snow angels!

After the big snowstorm of Thursday and Friday, I thought it would be great to take the kids out for a snow-filled Saturday! The only problem...Kit has snow pants, but no snow boots and Fionn has snow boots, but no snow pants!! Disappointing for sure, since they were both born in IL to a native Illinioan (who by the way, doesn't own snow boots either)! Hey, no worries, there's a Target just 10 minutes down the road. This will be a quick trip, in and out, right???? For those of you who are familiar with where I live and what has happened today...you know the answer is WRONG!!!!
I packed up my children this morning for a quick trip to the Target and found myself in the midst of chaos. As I arrived at the shopping center, I notices ALOT of police cars, ambulances, and fire trucks. The first entrance was blocked off, but the second entrance was still open (I agree that my first clue should have been all the emergency vehicles...but I thought that there must have been a fire in one of the stores). As a matter of fact, I said to my sister in law on the phone, "I don't know what's going on here, I'll just skip Target and go into Payless for the boots". I parked the car and was in the process of unbuckling Fionn when a woman in a minivan pulled up next to me and said, "don't take the kids out of the car...there's been a shooting in one of the stores...they've got everyone on lockdown...go home." That's not something I ever expected to hear from a suburban soccer mom (thank you to the woman who took the time to let me know what was happening!!!). Needless to say, I hightailed it out of there. But not before my truck was searched by police.
As I was leaving, I tried to remain calm, because my eldest IrishKid definitely sensed that things were not good. Let's just say she understood the expletives I had uttered in the rush to get away as fast as I could and repeated them back to me. As scared as I was (and I was and still am shaken), I didn't want her to feel scared...which is a tenuous rope to walk. So I did what any kid would do...I went to see my Mom & Dad.
The good thing...the IrishKids and Lily got to have their day in the snow and I had my family close. I couldn't believe that something like this was happening in my town. My heart goes out to the families who lost their loved ones today. And I'm thinking about the familiest and friends of those who have been lost in countless thoughtless crimes. I've hugged my children a lot tighter today.

8 comments:

Brenden said...

Good to hear that everyone is ok. I heard the news today from a co-worker who said there was a mall shooting in Tinley Park. That news definitely hit hard. Anyway, it is good to see some pictures of the little ones in their snowgear. I only have 6 days until I need to put my gear back on for a week of skiing. Life is good.

Michelle and Jack said...

Life IS good...and we are so very, very lucky. May we remember to feel this blessed every single day.

Terri said...

Glad to hear that you are all okay. I couldn't believe it when they mentioned Tinley Park on our news down here. I'm glad to hear that there are good samaritans out there to warn you that something was wrong.
The pics of the kids are great. Kit is the spitting image of you with her rosy cheeks in the cold.
Aunt T

Monica said...

We are so happy to here that you all are ok...glad to see that you all enjoyed your day anyways, how fun it must be to play in the snow! It was 85 degrees here with 30 mile an hour winds, in the middle of what we call winter!

Daniel & Jennifer said...

I was at work all day & didn't know anything about it until I read your blog!
I'm so glad you guys are okay!! I'm looking forward to this weekend and getting to see everyone.

Judi said...

The news definitely caught our attention. That is not how or what one wants to hear about happenings back home. We would rather hear about the fun in the snow!!!!
Aunt Judi

auntie.k said...

Hi there,
well it was great to see the lovely pictures of the children they look as if they are enjoying themselves hope the adualts had just as good a time.
love k

Travelingiswhatidobest said...

Hi Shannon
What a scary experience! As I was driving to work that morning I heard about a shooting in Chicago all the way over here in Dubai. I never thought it would have been in Tinley. I can't believe you were right there...I'm so glad you all were safe. Wow those four little ones are growing fast. Can't wait to see them all this summer ( and meet the 5th).